Evangelical Christians are always talking about winning the lost to Christ. Committees are formed, programs are developed, materials are printed, and motivational speakers convince believers to become workers in God's Great Commission. It all sounds so good. The only problem is, most often, it is a waste of time, money, and effort. And because it nearly always leaves out the most important "ingredient," character, one might even call it unbiblical.
The Word of God tells us what it takes to win the lost. Proverbs 11:30 says, "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise." The word "fruit" has more that one meaning to the born again believer. First, it is the outworking of the Holy Spirit in the lives of believers, and the fruit includes: "love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance" (Gal. 5:22-23). I believe this is what the Lord meant by connecting "fruit" with winning souls in Proverb 11:30. When a believer is filled with the Spirit, he shows forth fruit that is "pleasant to the eye," and causes the lost to hunger for what he has. The lost are drawn to a Spirit filled believer like a bee is drawn to a beautiful flower. This opens the door for the believer to share the Gospel (1 Cor. 15:1-4), which is the "power of God unto salvation" (Rom. 1:16).
A second understanding of the word "fruit," is that of reproduction. A physical birth requires "seed" which grows into the likeness of the progenitor. Created plants, animals, and human beings all produce "seeds" which have the potential of producing "after their kind." An apple tree produces apples containing seeds, which, when planted, produce more apple trees. For both animals and humans, insemination results in offspring "after their kind."
The Spiritual birth also requires "seed-bearing fruit." Salvation is the result of faith in Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:8). Faith in Jesus Christ is the result of hearing the Word of God (Lk. 8:11; Rom. 10:14-17). When a believer is filled with the Spirit, he shares his faith, and the lost get saved. Luke wrote that the believers were "Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47). But notice it was their behavior which opened the door for the proclaiming of the Gospel, and souls were saved (Acts 2:42-46).
I have included the "Romans Road" below. It is an excellent way to share God's Word, but in order to share it, one needs those who will listen. Pray, be filled with the Spirit, and then share it.
The Romans Road
* "All have sinned" (Rom. 3:23).
* "The wages of sin is death" (Rom. 6:23a).
* "But God commended His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8).
* "The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom. 6:23b).
* "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Rom. 10:17).
* "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13).
* "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
PASS IT ON !