MARANATA !!!

MARANATA !!!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

WHY MEMORIZE SCRIPTURE ?

Why Memorize Scripture?

(Psa 119:10-12 KJV)

With my whole heart have I sought thee O Lord:

O let me not wander from thy commandments.

{11} Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

{12} Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.

Memorizing Scripture has many benefits.

In Joshua 1:7-8 the Lord tells Joshua,

(Josh 1:7-8 KJV)

Only be thou strong and very courageous,

that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law,

which Moses my servant commanded thee:

turn not from it to the right hand or to the left,

that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

{8} This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth;

but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,

that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein:

for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Our spiritual prosperity will be greatly affected by our diligence to meditate upon and obey God's word. Memorization is a means to meditation. As we memorize, Scripture, the Holy Spirit can then bring it to our remembrance, we can then meditate on it and apply it to our lives.

16 reasons to memorize Scripture:

Help in avoiding sin

Ps 119:11 I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Comfort in affliction

Ps 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.

Spiritual life

Ps 119:93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life.

Wisdom

Ps 119:98-100 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.

Delight

Ps 119:103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Guidance

Ps 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Hope

Ps 119:114 You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.

Peace

Ps 119:165 Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.

A heart of worship

Ps 119:171-172 My lips will pour forth praise, for you teach me your statutes. My tongue will sing of your word, for all your commandments are right.

Freedom

Jn 8:31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Makes Scripture readily available to teach, witness, encourage or reprove others

2 Ti 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Increases our faith

Ro 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Victory over temptation

Mt 4:4 But he answered, "It is written, ' Man shall not live by bread alone,

but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" (This is from the account of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness. Jesus answered each of Satan's temptations by saying, 'It is written...' then quoting a Scripture from memory.)

Confidence in prayer

1Jn 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.

To imitate Jesus' own example:

Jesus often quoted Scripture, for example:

When teaching

(Mat 5:21-22 KJV)

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill;

and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

{22} But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:

and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca{GK=you worthless person}, shall be in danger of the council:

but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

When tempted

(Mt. 4:1-4),

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

{2} And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungered.

{3} And when the tempter came to him, he said,

If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

{4} But he answered and said, It is written,

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

When confronting the Pharisees

(Mt. 9:13),

And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples,

Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

{12} But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them,

They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

{13} But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice:

for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

and

When explaining the parables to his disciples

(Mk. 4:12).

And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God:

but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

{12} That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand;

lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

http://www.forevergratefulmusic.com/why_memorize_scripture.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment